Saturday, December 14, 2013

The Great Shoe Conundrum

As you may (or may not be aware) Mizuno have discontinued their Wave Ascent 7, in favor of the new Wave Ascend 8.  I was a but gutted that they stopped the 7, as anyone who knows me at all will know, I love this shoe!  My trail shoes are like my best friends, and I need them to be comfortable, grippy, flexible, supportive, and if at all possible, really funky colours.

My first tactic was to buy up as many pairs of the 7s as I could get my hands on, but these went pretty quickly as I am sure there are many others who love these as much as me.  I was debating over whether or not I should try something more minimalist, when I stumbled upon (not literally) the Mizuno Cabrakan.  These shoes came highly recommended by another ultra and trail runner, and are apparently more grippy and more trail specific than the 7s.

And as luck would have it Santa has bought me some for Christmas.

I am still making up my mind about these shoes, as the ride does feel a bit stiffer and a little different than the 7s, but watch this space to see how the exciting saga of the shoe conundrum concludes.  I have my fingers crossed that these shoes will fulfill my needs and become my new best friends on the trails.


No comments:

Post a Comment