Saturday, August 17, 2013

Is it crazy...

That I will run my first official ultra marathon before I run my first official marathon?  Well anyway, that I my plan.  I have entered the Great Naseby Water Race and the Cadbury Dunedin Marathon.  The Great Naseby Water Race is a ultra-marathon fest with distances from 50km right up to 160km (or 100 miles).  I am excited and nervous about completing this distance.  But I have run 50km before, so I know that I can cover the distance, and I was thinking today, that it doesn't matter how I finish, as long as I finish.

The Dunedin Marathon is a little more nerve wracking.  There is a time limit on the distance, and although I have been doing quite a bit of speed work, and tempo training over distance, I know that at the end of the day I am not fast (but built to last).  However, nerves over completing the course in the designated time are somewhat cajoled by my excitement of getting to run around the beautiful Dunedin harbor, on what promises to be a rather spectacular course.

I haven't blogged much of late because all of my running has been on flat, open country roads, and I can't find it within myself to wax lyrical about gravel roads, paddocks and irrigators too often.  But the important thing is that I have been doing a lot of running, and covering a lot of kilometers (to the extent where I think I just about need a new pair of shoes).  A short run for me at the moment is 15km, and there are many and varied routes around my house that make up quite even distances (21km, 30km, 42km etc.).  I run mostly on the grass verges where I can, as the softer surface is kinder on my joints, but I also like running in the thick gravel, as this fulfills some aspect of my trail running desires.



Today through, for the first time in ages, it had rained a lot over night, and the grass verges were ankle deep in mud.  The route that I chose today, took me past some earth works, so I relished running up and down the piles of mud and stone as I slithered through the mud.  Large puddles, and well trodden drive ways contributed to the muddiest run that I have had in a while, and it was great fun.

In other news, Malcolm Law has launched is latest charity running event: The High Five-0 Challenge - which a 50 day, 50 marathon event, run over 50 different peaks around NZ to raise money (at least $250,000) for the Mental Health Foundation of New Zealand.  For those unfamiliar with Malcolm Law's running feats, he has completed numerous fundraising endurance events for New Zealand charaties, and he is one of New Zealands best known and accomplished ultra runners.  I am excited about hopefully being involved in this event as it is rolled out over the next months...watch this space.

Finally, I have been reading Dean Karnazas's 50 Marathons in 50 days.  It is an interesting read, notably because he seems to find the logistical aspects of the event more challenging than the running itself.  I particularly liked his musings about the suitability of ultra running for introverts (like me!) who enjoy their own company and appreciate the long hours of running with just their mind and the wilderness for company.  I can definetly relate to that sentiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment