Thursday, May 9, 2013

Down Time

Not being able to run SUCKS!  These last 10 days have been the longest non-running interval that I have had since I started running more seriously.  The withdrawal symptoms are the worst, and for me, an enthusiast who spends a large proportion of my day thinking about running, or running gear, or races or unbelievable running goals, my mind has been over-taken with almost constantly nagging thoughts about being out there and putting one foot in front of the other, preferably up a mountain.

A niggling tendon strain in my ankle put me out of action for a week, and then just as I got the OK to start running again, I have contracted the plague (well its a cold actually, but it has made me feel a bit sorry for myself).  In the thick of my snotty, tissue infested gloom, I feel as though I might never run again, and that I am loosing all of the training and effort that I have thus-far invested.  I have even considered lacing up and heading out anyway, but I know in the small "sensible" portion of my brain, that rest and recovery will be more beneficial in the mean time.

While my tendon was playing up (weirdly, a yoga injury), I tried swimming and cycling to take the edge off my cravings.  I have a huge respect for the determined swimmers who can glide countless lengths of the pool, their fitness and enjoyment of the sport is huge.  For me though, swimming is mind-numbingly boring, probably mostly because I can't really do it.  I splashed back and forth, grasping my way through a lazy and untidy breast stroke before I thought I would have a go at some freestyle.  I managed about half a length before the air:water ratio entering my lungs became deadly, only to notice that my ungainly flailing had caught the attention of the lifeguard, who was looking at me strangely, apparently deciding if a rescue was in order.  I retreated to the spa pool.

Please let me be healthy enough to run again soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment